CHICAGO MASTERPLAN STUDY
Location: Chicago, IL
Typology: BHS Masterplan
Description: An urbanization process has been designed which covers over 30 blocks and is divided into 4 phases of implementation, with around 3,000 homes in each phase.
This approach follows the BHS concept based on the city of Barcelona, allowing the land use to be optimized for infrastructure and improving the quality of life; it will allow residents to enjoy this new 21st Century urban planning concept, with extensive green spaces, sustainable internal mobility, high use of renewable energies, common social areas, digital urban and community processes, urban vegetable gardens, etc.
New Southworks preliminary concept design mega data
- BHS city blocks: 32
- Miles of street: 15,5 miles
- Parking spots: 20.000
- Number of dwellings: 18.000 – 20.000
- Proximity store: 500-300 stores
- Malls: 14 acres
- Green tech district: 40 acres
- Cultural and leisure ore walls area: 10 acres
- Community facilities: 16 acres
- Mixed use towers: 1 acre
- Waterfront green areas: 46 acres
The preliminary development plan considers:
- To provide employment to a large number of local residents throughout the development of BHS industrial process.
- To offer training to community residents and partnerships with local schools to ensure their qualification for the jobs offered at the development including both pre- and post-construction.
- To provide affordable housing that is available to current neighbors.
- To offer tax relief to long-term residents to avoid displacement and gentrification.
- To be environmentally sustainable and healthy for the existing community as well as for the community within the development.